Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Announcement grace

I’ve had several people ask me why I never put an official (especially early) announcement on facebook about our pregnancy.

To be honest, I struggled (battled) internally about this issue.  Still do.  

When we were trying to get pregnant, all the announcements and baby pictures (while I tried to rejoice with the parents) were VERY difficult for me to see.  I found myself traveling the road of anger, jealousy, envy and just. plain. sadness.  

With that said, as I hit mile stones in my pregnancy (particularly 12 weeks) when often people ‘announce,’ I found myself holding back.  Not because I’m at all ashamed of my pregnancy.  We didn’t even need help getting pregnant, it was simply time and trust in the Lord.  

BUT while my heart was rejoicing in this incredible gift (and trust me, I wanted to blast the news), the tears flowed thinking about all the momma’s out there who so badly wanted a baby to grow inside them, those struggling with infertility and losses.  

I still cry for you.  I beg to Jesus on your behalf.

I write this blog to bring light to the issue.  Those who are struggling are all around you.  I’m not saying one should or shouldn't announce the joys of life in social media.  I will probably continue to do so.  But rather, I challenge all of us to think about those who may be on the receiving end.  And extend grace.  Extend love, patience and thoughtfulness. Maybe its a private phone call or message to let them know you care and are thinking of them.

I also write this for those of you who are in the midst of waiting on the Lord for children (or a spouse or a happy marriage or fill in the blank).  I pray that you can see the struggle that also goes on the other end.  I’m sure there are plenty out there like me, who want to share and rejoice in the good news (whatever the news may be) but also struggle with hurting you.  Please extend grace to us as well.

Lastly, I wrestle with blogging/posting this, because I may be (ok- will probably be) an insincere hypocrite some day!  I apologize to you now.  But I guess I’m ok with that, because this is where I’m at with this issue today.

My hope is just to bring some understanding to this place that so many women are struggling.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Heidi. Thank you for the grace you have extended and by leading by example. Prayers for your and your baby to have peace and health. Please continue to pray for us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do pray for you Paula! Often. Much love, friend :)

    ReplyDelete