Friday, August 8, 2014

Finding Joy: Part 2

“I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart
where?
down in my heart
where?
down in my heart

I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart
where?
down in my heart to stay

And I’m so happy, so very happy
I’ve got the love of Jesus in my heart
and I’m so happy, so very happy
I’ve got the love of Jesus in my heart”

Do you know that childhood song?  I've got the joy

In my small accountability group this morning, we found ourselves singing this song.  Not because we felt joy, but because we desire it.

Its easy to feel joy when life is going exactly as we want.  Exactly as we had hoped.  

But lets be honest, when does life go EXACTLY as we want
or EXACTLY as we had hoped!?

After almost a year now of trying to have a baby, I haven’t always felt the joy of the Lord.  I get easily angered when people ask when we are going to have a baby.  I feel sarcastic comments come to mind and find myself biting my tongue.  I've gotten mad at God more this year, than I can remember in my life!  Frustrated that He doesn't hear me.  Or feeling like He is playing a game with me and withholding this good gift from me because of something I've done wrong.  (I know these are lies, just bear with me)
I've evaluated my body more than ever!  I've controlled things that Mike was previously doing ‘just in case’ they were affecting our fertility.  I've done so much reading and analyzing about things in order to try to get pregnant.  

My expectations of what I want, have overshadowed the hope and joy I already(!!) have in Christ.  

The last few months have also been a whirlwind for our immediate family.  Mike’s family (dad) has been going through many trials of pastoring and shepherding a church.  In June, we found out my sister Betsy, who just had a baby in January, had a brain tumor.  After lots of testing and months of wondering, she underwent brain surgery in July.

I've seen my sister and Mike’s dad rise up to fight these trials.  I've seen strength, trust and faith soar through them!  I've been humbled by their situations, wondering if I would deal with these testings as they have.  

I’ve asked the question, ‘where is hope found in the midst of all these trials, hurts and pains?’  

This week two separate people have read 1 Peter 1 to me!  I felt the need to share.  After all, I desire to be authentic about where my heart has been and where it hopes(!!) to be!  May these words bring you hope and joy, as they've done for me.

(Verse 3-9--emphasis by me)
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade. This inheritance is kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.  In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the end result of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

(Verse 13)
Therefore, with minds that are alert and fully sober, set your hope on the grace to be brought to you when Jesus Christ is revealed at his coming.


This Scripture is FILLED with the hope that we can find in spending eternity with Jesus and the joy that fills our souls as we believe in Him through our trials.  

A reminder that our hope is NOT the situation we find ourselves in.  
Our joy is NOT what people do or don’t say about us.

At its deepest level…
Our hope and joy are purely. found. in. Christ.

As I attempt to wrap my brain around this, it brings me back to the song.  

Perhaps the song of my heart sounds more like this:

I pray for joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart
where?
down in my heart!
where?
down in my heart!

I pray for joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart
down in my heart to stay

And I’m so thankful, so very thankful
I’ve got the love of Jesus in my heart
and I’m so thankful, so very thankful
I’ve got the love Jesus in my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment